What Suburb is Glen Ellyn By?
Glen Ellyn is a village located in DuPage County, northeastern Illinois, and is situated about 23 miles west of downtown Chicago. The town underwent seven name changes throughout its developmental phases, beginning with Babcock’s Grove in 1833, named after the first settlers, Ralph and Morgan Babcock. The name changed to DuPage Center in 1834, Stacy’s Corners in 1835, Newton’s Station in 1849, Danby in 1851, Prospect Park in 1882, and finally Glen Ellyn in 1885. The last name change was in honor of Thomas E. Hill’s wife, Ellyn, who was the village president at the time.
The village is predominantly residential and is home to the College of DuPage, established in 1967. Additionally, the bones of a mastodon discovered in 1963 by pond-excavating workers are on display in Armerding Hall at nearby Wheaton College. The town hosts an annual cardboard boat regatta every July, and the Willowbrook Wildlife Center provides rehabilitation for injured native animal species. Glen Ellyn was incorporated in 1892 and had a population of 26,999 in 2000 and 27,450 in 2010.
Related: Is Glen Ellyn a Nice Place to Live?Add to Garden Book