How Did Geneva Illinois Get its Name?
The town’s name was proposed by a local with ties to Col. Richard Hamilton, a notable politician in Cook County, leading to its selection as county seat in 1836. The town was platted the following year, and its name was likely derived from Geneva, New York, after considering other options such as LaFox, Big Spring, and Herrington’s Ford. The construction of a courthouse and jail were among the first significant projects. Geneva was incorporated as a village in 1867, and its position as county seat garnered attention, but it was the location on the Fox River that provided the most economic opportunities.Add to Garden Book